When you think about it, it's in the vets' best interests for you to
test the whole kaboodle, especially since they're not willing to cut you
a break for quantity.  And because of this, it's in their best interests
to want you to think the disease is easily transmissible.  Either way,
PTS or testing, they get your money.  This may be an oversimplification
of their motives, they might not actually be *evil* -- but the point is
that the new, enlightened attitude toward FeLV costs a lot less at the
vet (though you may end up spending some of that for supplements and
alternative meds).  The disease is transmitted chiefly by body fluids,
which are most easily exchanged through sex and biting.  Speutered
animals are not only less aggressive (hence less danger of fights ending
in deep wounds), they also don't (usually) engage in sex (I've seen one
of my neutered boys sort-of mount a girlkitty, and then stand there with
a confused look on his face like "is there something else I'm supposed
to be doing at this point?" -- but there's no penetration).  The bug
doesn't survive outside the body for very long, so more casual contact,
like sharing food bowls, isn't usually a factor.  For some reason this
explanation of how venereal disease is transmitted (I think it was in
"Everything You Always.....Sex....Ask") seems appropriate.  The question
was, can you get VD from a toilet seat.  The answer was, if you sat on
it with your diseased, open-sored genitals pressed right up against the
front of the seat rim, and then someone came within 1 minute and also
pressed his/her open-sored genitals up against that exact spot, then
yes, there's a chance they might get it.  (I know, gross -- but
straightforward!)  So if you're worried about maybe having some
positive-kitty drool on your jeans and going over to your mom's and
giving FeLV to her cats, or some such scenario -- ain't gonna happen.
;-)

You sound like you have a wonderful fur family.

Diane R.