Hi Tomi's guardian,
Sorry, what's your name?

It was suspected that my Grace had Hemobart too. Belinda is right that Doxy is prescribed long-term for this. The abx retards the growth of new parasites, (doesn't actually kill it off), so it's needed longer than the usual 7-10 days to give the body a chance to destroy the infestation. My Internist wanted Grace to remain on it indefinitely. Instead I would give it to her whenever she was showing signs of anemia, at first I'd keep her on it for a month at a time. Grace too was in terrible shape when I first started medicating her with Doxy and she did bounce back. Are you the one that posted about using Interferon Alpha 7 days on and 7 days off? I know that the "pulse" method is a standard protocol, but whenever Grace was showing symptoms, I'd give it to her daily until she began to feel better. I've also upped the dose to as much as 3 ccs daily when they are fighting something off.

I don't think the benefits of Nutri-cal are worth forcing it on Tomi. It's mostly corn syrup anyway. If he's eating, (is he eating?), then I wouldn't worry too much about fighting with him over it. I'd try mixing in a small amount of Pet-tinic, (or another multi vita sup) into his food. If the vet feels strongly about making sure Tomi has vita B12, he could give him an injection of it, (although it does sting).

I order TF in a powder, I didn't even know they made TF in pill form. I've never had anyone refuse it mixed in food. I don't usually add the full amount suggested in one serving though. You can also get Tomi regular colostrum at the health food store to add to his food.

It's good that you got Tomi the paper litter, you might want to try one of the corn based litters too. Just be sure and not have any of the clumping litter in the house, it's very dangerous to have them eating that. Did you buy the Innova dry or wet? So far I've never had a cat turn their nose up at the dry.

One more tip for you... If Tomi's appetite is good, you might be able to hide his pills in Pill Pockets. Most of my guys won't eat the pill pocket by itself. What I do is use about half the pill pocket to form around the pill and then hide it in a small amount of something really yummy, like tuna, or meat baby food. I have one guy that will eat his pill pocketed pill if I give it to him with a couple of those nasty Temptation treats.

Hang in there my dear. You are doing wonderfully. We all know how overwhelming and expensive it can be. Just do the best you can and try to keep your spirits up. Continue to make decisions from your heart and take things one day at a time. Shower those angels of yours with love.

My prayers are with you,
Nina

C & J wrote:
Yes Tomi is on doxocycline for the parasite hemobartonella. They gave me a small container of pills to give 2, once a day, but there's not enough there for 4-6 weeks. As well, he's on prednosone for the week to keep him from destroying his new blood cells. His red blood count is at 16 right now.

The vet also gave me a tube of paste, called Nutri-Cal that is high in vitamin B12, iron, etc. Its supposed to be palatable, but Tomi doesn't like it, so I have to stick it to the roof of his mouth to get him to eat it.

I went out and bought the Innovo Evo food, as well as some litter made out of recycled paper, so that hopefully he won't try to eat it.

I tried giving him some Noni juice, but I started thinking that maybe he shouldn't be taking a supplement that boosts the immune system while he's on the prednosone to suppress the immune system. Also maybe the Transfer factor plus advanced would be better than the Noni since it comes in pill form. My cats seem to actually gag a bit on the Noni since it tastes so bad. It might take awhile to ship the Transfer factor to Canada though.

This whole process is a little overwhelming and expensive, but worth it if I can give my little guy (and girl if she starts getting sick) a chance.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Belinda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>