15-17 is considered severly anemic. That's about where my foster Stamp is right
now.

  This is a great web page for cat Hemotology at different stages of life:

  http://www.cathelp-online.com/health/glossary2.php

  Beth

Kelley Saveika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I wish I could be of more help. Joey is on the same regimen and his
rbc was below 3 last he went to the doctor. It makes me think 17 is
really good:(.

On 4/2/07, C & J wrote:

> Just by way of background info:
>
> March 9, I took Tomi to the vet and found out he had Hemobartonella, Feline
> Leukemia, and a red blood count of 9. The did a transfusion, bringing his
> count up to 13. He started taking Doxycycline, and Prednisone, 2 pills per
> day.
>
> One week later, his red blood cells were up to 17, and his Prednisone was
> dropped to 1 pill per day.
>
> In another week, his red blood cells were 19, and the vet stopped giving him
> the Prednisone.
>
> I've noticed since he stopped the Prednisone that he became a little less
> active, and when he went to the vet today, his red blood cells had dropped
> to 17.
>
> The vet gave me another bottle of Prednisone, and I am supposed to continue
> giving him 1 per day. Giving him this drug scares me, because I am afraid
> it will weaken his immune system too much.
>
> I am also giving him Interferon (1cc per day), 1/4 tsp Mega C Plus, 1
> Transfer Factor capsule, and about 1/2 capsule of L-lysine. I've been
> giving these for 1-2 weeks in baby food.
>
> I asked the vet about Erythopotein, and she didn't think it would be of much
> help since she didn't think Tomi's bone marrow was healthy enough to respond
> to it. I could probably insist that we try it though if it might help. The
> vet thinks that the FeLV is responsible for destroying the blood cells in
> Tomi's bone marrow.
>
> I was really hoping that once we got rid of the Hemobartonella, that Tomi's
> red blood count would get back to normal, but it looks like that may not be
> the case.
>
> This is so hard to deal with on a daily basis, never knowing if he's going
> to get better, or if these are the last days I will get to spend with him.
>
> Each kitty on this list that passes away brings tears to my eyes, and I
> can't help but wonder if my little boy might be next.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion of what else I might be able to do to help him, I
> would be greaty appreciative.
>
> Cassandra

http://www.rescuties.org

http://astore.amazon.com/rescuties-20