if the moms are negative, the odds of the kittens being positive go way way
down, as the current research implies that babies are infected by passing
through the birth canal and all its lovely bodily fluids, and through all
the nursing and cleaning and caressing that mamacat gives the tiny ones.  so
if mom is negative, and the babies are n't living in a colony with positive
surrogate mommies to help with the other stuff, they will probably be fine.