Hi Jodie,

Welcome to the FeLV group!  You've found the best
source for reliable info. and great support in dealing
with FeLV.

I unknowingly mixed my positive with three negatives
for 2.5 years before I found out my positive was
positive.  He lived another two years before passing.
None of my negatives contracted FeLV from Cricket.
All were vaccinated and all are still living 1.5 years
after his death.  There was no fighting or grooming
between Cricket and the others, but they did share
food and water bowls, and litter boxes.  I don't have
any FeLV+ kitties now, but will remain with this group
indefinitely because of the compassion and
encouragement they showed me when I was dealing with
his illness.  It's an invaluable that I love paying
forward.

How old is Jack now?  He may throw off the virus-he
has a 40% chance.  He may also have had a false
positive test, and not be positive after all.  We do
see that.  My advice, in complete agreement with your
holistic vet, is to vaccinate your others, and re-test
Jack with an IFA test (as opposed to the in-house
Elisa) in 3-6 months.  When you vaccinate your others,
make sure they do it in a rear leg, as
vaccination-site sarcomas are always a risk, and the
neck is a much more difficult place to treat a sarcoma
than the leg.  Understand that the vaccination success
rate is listed as about 75% (someone correct me here
if I'm wrong), but if Jack doesn't do any biting, in
my opinion, it wouldn't matter if your others were
vaccinated or not.  The chances of contracting it
without a bite (or via birth) is very low, from what
I've learned and seen here.  The info. you've read out
on the web, in our opinion, is more of a
cover-your-_ss, overly cautious type of info. from
veterinary universities and veterinarians and others
quoting those sources.  They are the same sources that
say to pts when a cat tests positive, which none of us
agree with.

Please keep us posted on Jack, and if you have any
questions at all, please ask.  We're here to help.
With all your furbabies, it looks like you've probably
got lots of info. yourself on various kitty topics
that you can share should the need arise.  :)

Have a great day Jodie!

:)
Wendy
Dallas, Tx

--- Jodie Marsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi! I rescued Jack about 3 months ago and he is
> FeLV+ ) I took him from an abusive home with the
> intention of finding him a wonderful home). I have 6
> other cats, Mr.Furley (5yrs), Lucky (1 1/2 yrs),
> Ralphie, Janet, and Cleo  (each 1 yr), and Furby (10
> months). Everyone else has been tested for FeLV and
> is negative. I am unable to continue keeping Jack
> separated from the others and I have not been able
> to find him an appropriate home. I went to the
> holistic veterinarian who recommended vaccinating
> all - cats against FeLV and allowing them to mix.
> She said that FeLV is most often transmitted through
> bites etc. I have read sooooo much info about FeLV
> being transmitted through saliva (all of my cats are
> VERY friendly and all groom eachother) and that 2
> shots are given then an annual  booster is
> recommended. I guess my questions are as follows:
> What are your experiences with mixing negatives and
> positives?
> Have any of your vaccinated cats contracted the
> disease?
> How long after vaccinating do I need to wait before
> introducing them? (Vet said 48 hours).
> Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Thank you very much

> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at
> giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo!
> Mail

world: Indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"

      ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~