That is a VERY good question, and one I do not have
the answer to.  I'm not sure the experts know this
either.  We don't even know if there is more than one
strain of FeLV.

:)
Wendy

--- C & J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm wondering, and I can't seem to find this
> information....if cats are exposed to the FeLV virus
> and fight it off (don't become infected), do they
> develop an immunity to it, as if they had a
> vaccination?
>
> I know my 9 and 12 year old cats must have been
> exposed to the virus many times.  They lived in
> close proximity to Tomi and Kisa for 2.5 years.
> They licked out each other's dishes, used the same
> litterboxes, etc.
>
> They both tested negative for the virus in March,
> and I am curious if they will have developed an
> immunity to it, or do they need to fight the virus
> every time they are exposed?
>
> Basically i'm wondering if I were to take in more
> cats with an unknown history (may or may not have
> FeLV), if I should have my two older cats
> vaccinated.
>
> I want to have the two retested for FeLV again as
> well to make sure they didn't pick it up in the last
> few months.  How long would one need to wait to make
> sure they are negative?
>
> Cassandra

world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"     ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7