  From: C & J
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 10:54 AM
  Subject: Immunity to FeLV?

  I'm wondering, and I can't seem to find this information....if cats are
exposed to the FeLV virus and fight it off (don't become infected), do they
develop an immunity to it, as if they had a vaccination?

  I know my 9 and 12 year old cats must have been exposed to the virus many
times.  They lived in close proximity to Tomi and Kisa for 2.5 years.  They
licked out each other's dishes, used the same litterboxes, etc.

  They both tested negative for the virus in March, and I am curious if they
will have developed an immunity to it, or do they need to fight the virus every
time they are exposed?

  Basically i'm wondering if I were to take in more cats with an unknown
history (may or may not have FeLV), if I should have my two older cats
vaccinated.

  I want to have the two retested for FeLV again as well to make sure they
didn't pick it up in the last few months.  How long would one need to wait to
make sure they are negative?

  Cassandra