  From: elizabeth trent
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 10:09 AM
  Subject: Re: OT: Birds

  Cat TV!  We have a lot of that here :0)  I've done my best to attract birds
to my yard.  I also keep a copy of 'Sibley's' near the window so I can look up
the birds I don't recognize.  My favorites are the Indigo Buntings and the
Goldfinches.  I mush have 10 different feeders out there (not counting the
hummingbird feeders).  The cats enjoy watching them so much (and I do too).

  I plant things with berries and shrubs that lend themselves to hiding little
birdies.  I planted crepe myrtles and nandinas near the bird feeders so they
can hope to and from those to the feeders.  I have a variety of trees around
and tons of flowers.

  With the extreme drought we are having this summer here in north alabama the
birdbaths are by far the biggest hit.  My neighbor says she sits on her back
porch and just watches all the birdies fly to my yard LOL  I'm really wanting
to add a water feature to the yard with shallow pools and waterfalls.  That may
be my project for this fall.  Birds just flock here when I run the sprinklers.
I get lots of nests around here too.  I have a number of bird houses - some
like the houses and some like the trees and shrubs.

  We have wonderful red-headed wood peckers and red finches.  I keep peanut
feeders too and the chickadees and blue jays and some other birds eat those
peanuts as fast as I can put them out there.  We also have Towhee's and Rose
Breasted Grosbeaks.  Sometimes I see as many as twenty doves out there at one
time.  I have bluebirds too!

  If you REALLY want to get into trouble -- go to Wild Birds Unlimited (I
notice your Friend's email mentions WBU too).  I went into that store the other
day and KNEW I was in trouble.
  http://www.wbu.com/

  elizabeth