  From: C & J
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:55 PM
  Subject: Vaccinating kittens of unknown status against FeLV?

  I adopted two kittens from a farm who are 8 weeks old right now.  They are
scheduled to go in for their vaccinations at 10 weeks, and the clinic mentioned
that the FeLV vaccination is standard now.  I asked if they should be tested
first to make sure they don't have FeLV, and they said it didn't matter.

  I am wondering what your opinions are on this.  I don't know if these kittens
have ever been exposed, but I do know that 10 weeks is too soon to reliably
test for the virus.  Is it safe to go ahead and vaccinate, not knowing if they
are infected or not?

  I'm not even positive I want that vaccine, but it may be a good idea.  The
kittens will eventually be able to go outside in chain-link enclosure that
we've built, so it is unlikely they will have contact with other cats, but its
always possible some contact could occur through the fence.  We live outside of
the city now, but there are a few cats belonging to neighbours that wander
through from time to time (they mostly stay out of the yard due to our dog).

  Cassandra