Hi guys,
Yesterday I took my two sibling kittens in for their
second feline leukemia vaccination. My little poly
guys I got out of Arizona...They had their first
vacination June 30th...
Anyway, I had not had them tested before their first
vaccination, because their mother tested negative and
they had been kept away from other cats...I want to
trust that they were before I got them. Their foster
mom told me she kept them in her bathroom with their
mother, while they were still nursing. Things do
happen, but I also felt they were too young to subject
to a test before I got them at roughly 8-weeks of age.
I vaccinated them for the first time at about 11-weeks
and the second at 15-weeks. There are a lot of people
out there that probably think I was very wrong, but I
do believe in vaccinating, especially now more than
ever ,because I have one FeLV+ kitty in our family of
seven kitties. I do keep her completely isolated. I
NEVER let her mix. There have been times she has
touched noses through a screen or crack in the door...
with one of my vaccinated cats...I wash my hands a
lot...the whole thing...She is only allowed outside
with me while I'm working in my yard or she stays in
her room.
My cats have always been vaccinated and in the past,
have always been boostered every year.
I do realize, as a group, we know more than any vet
out there, but yesterday, I told my vet some of you
guys believed a  FeLV vaccination might make a
negative cat test positive. She said that could not
happen ,because it is a killed virus... I think people
are getting mixed up with the FIV vaccine ,which does
make a negative cat test positive. I also have a hard
time believing, if your cat is positive and you
vaccinate, it could kick the disease into gear...I
think I ran that past my vet ,but she just did not
know ,but I'm sure she is doubtful. Yesterday I had
put my little boy kitty, of the pair down to be
tested, but after discussing things with the vet and
vet tech, thinking is was a slim to nonexistant chance
my guys could be positive, I have decided to wait. I
eventually will have everyone tested...
At one time or another everyone has been tested,
except my 12-13 year old...He has been with me all
those years and vaccinated...but he has been
indoor/outdoor. I , of course feel nervous and scared
or I'm sure I would have done the tests already...I
have not recovered from the news on my recently
addition, Gracie, testing positive...As most of us
know and have experienced it is gut wrenching when
that test comes back positive...Your heart falls out
of your chest, to put it mildly...Because we are only
human, not perfect, I think too, we all have our
favorie cats...For a favorite , most adored, I can
only imagine...Everyone have a good day!
Glenda

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7