Good to see you back and glad to hear Sammy rallied again.

  tonya

Taylor Scobie Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Wow!  Thanks, Wendy!  I kind of missed myself there for a while.  What with
poor little Sammy's FeLV and lymphoma and all the other things going on in my
life I went into overload.

  Sammy went out of remission five weeks ago and was started on a rescue
protocol and immediately went back into remission but last week-end, a few days
after his second rescue protocol chemotherapy, he had an enormously hard time
of it.  The rescue protocol really took it out of him.  His neutrophil count
hit the skids, he was molto lethargic and his body temp went down to 95!--after
he had been at his emergency vet, Animal 911, for a while!--so into oxygen on a
warming pad with warmed fluids he went.  It was touch and go, I was only
allowed to look through the oxygen "room" glass for a very short time, and he
stirred and cried when he heard my voice.  Oh, my God, it was pitiful!  We
talked of the possibility of PTS and DNR in another room--away from little Sam,
of course, and I went out to buy him, in tears, a beautiful little pink baby
blankie to bury him in.  But, bingo, he snapped back as his neutrophil count
began to rise on its own, thank God!

  So, the FeLV has not hit his bone marrow (that was the crappy chemo) and he's
working hard to keep his immune system perking.  The next morning he had eaten
(yum yum, baby chicken), was breathing on his own, and looked very perky but
fatigued, I believe, as we drove to a 24-hour emergency clinic about five miles
away--because he still needed monitoring and I wanted him to have oxygen
availability.  The emergency doc thought he looked a little peaky, however, and
later that afternoon his RBC's dropped and he had a blood transfusion--whew!
Talk about the little guy being in the right place at the right time!

  He came home Tuesday afternoon in his beautiful new pink "Homecoming"
blankie!  I called his internal oncologist, a wonderful woman by the name of
Amy Wiedemann, DVM, ACVIM for those of you in the Chicago area, and she said he
had always been anemic (well, not THAT anemic) since she met him nearly four
months ago.  She told me that she thinks Sammy is constantly amazing
her--because he is still with us here on Earth, sigh!

  Sammy is now on anti-nausea meds, which is like trying to pill a
dragon/crocodile/little baby with about fifteen little clawed feet all paddling
at me and anything in my hands away from his leetle mouf, which is clamped shut
like a little parakeet's.  So I called Animal 911 to see if I could bring him
in for pilling and they said yes, we're mobbed.  Come on in and we'll do it!
So I bundled Sam up with his adorable little Big Sister Lilibet (Little
Adoptive Mommy to the triplets) for company because she is so calm and off we
went.  Fortunately it's only ten or twelve minutes away on quiet streets.  And
they WERE mobbed!  Yikes!

  I was there yesterday, Saturday, with Sammy's giant brother Charlie because I
thought he had a bladder infection but it was just (always after the regular
vet has closed) a tiny bit of intestinal trouble--just looked like it was from
his bladder.  Oh, my Lord!

  Plus both the washing machine and the DW have given up the ghost so I'm a
virtual unwashed, unmade bed (and by this time I don't even notice!) with a
sinkful of dishes, off to--finally!--buy W/D and DW for my mom's house on
Monday.  Next?  Try all new windows, a new microwave, an oven that actually
works, a new fridge.  Yes, it's the joys of taking care of Elderly Mommy!
Oh--and she lost more of her sight over the last month or so, too.

  And constantly watching over the little one.

  When are the trees going to start raining money, eh?

  Love to all of you from me 'n' the small, four-footed brood,

  Tee

    "Don't you know that

   women are the
   only works of art?"