  From: Caroline Kaufmann
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:13 PM
  Subject: RE: To Megan: Re: My cat was tested positive yesterday,and I don't
know what to do.

  Having just gone through this recently and losing Monkee to anemia/FelV, I
can provide this:

  Blood transfusion: wears off in 10 days, if not less.

  Signs of it wearing off are pretty clear: lack of energy, less moving around,
white gums/nose (Monkee's nose was "perfect pink" and when his transfusion wore
off, it was white-white), not eating/eating less.  You need to enjoy the time
you have with her now that she's had a transfusion, but PREPARE in advance for
it to wear off.  You need to consider now whether you will do another one.
There may not be time to think about that when the time comes.

  The only thing I regret about Monkee's situation and passing is that the
transfusion wore off and I thought maybe his body would make red blood cells on
it's own and it didn't, so he went downhill very rapidly.  You need to know
that if the cat's body is not making it's own RBCs and the transfusion wears
off, the cat experiences dizziness, vertigo, shortness of breath and maybe
trouble breathing.  I am not trying to be harsh here, just telling you what a
cat will feel so that you can try to put yourself in that position to truly
understand.  The slightest movement may cause them dizziness and distress.  In
Monkee's final days/hours, all he wanted to do was lay in my closest (which he
had never done before) on top of all my shoes; he didn't sleep, his eyes were
always open and dilated and he would stare into space (which he had never done
before until the anemia set in).  Only in the final hours did he occasionally
cry out like he had never done before (my mom and I believe it was because he
felt like he wanted to do something, like go out on his porch, and he'd tried
to move to do it, but wouldn't get far because of the shortness of
breath/dizziness and he would get frustrated and angry and would emit the
"cry."  It broke my heart).  He only had about 30 secs of respiratory distress
while I held him and then he passed in my arms.  I do indeed hope this is not
the path you and your sweet cat take.

  From my own experience in July, I provide you these "words of wisdom":

  Watch for signs of a worsening of her symptoms; prepare for them; and admit
to yourself when you see them (fight off the denial)-- those are the only
things you can do so as to try to do what is best for your cat and that is what
we all want.  Anemia is a horrible way for them to suffer.

  Interferon: Injections?  I was able to give Monkee oral interferon that had
been ordered through a pharmacy via the telephone- I think it was Wedgwood
Pharmacy?  Your Vet calls in the prescription, then you call to order and pay
for it.  It's delivered in the mail- has to be refrigerated.  And yes, this is
only an immune booster that I believe Monkee was taking more for his
Lymphosarcoma (cancer brought on by FelV); but once the anemia took over and
became his most pressing problem, we stopped the interferon.

  Best of luck to you.

  -Caroline