Just my own two cents here.  Of our 5 cats, 2 are declawed.  One, Missy
(whom I've recently discussed re: her problem in actually hitting the
litterbox), had been my mother's cat, and the declawing was a condition
imposed by her apartment complex.  I agree that declawing just for the
sake of furniture/woodwork protection is abhorrent (and have some funky
mouldings and a mutilated couch to prove it), but will defend to the
death my mother's right to have had a furkid to love.  Missy has never
demonstrated any behavioral problems that could possibly be linked to
declawing.

The other cat, Tribble, my housemate Gail and I CHOSE to have declawed,
after much, much discussion and angst, since yes, we do consider it an
inhumane practice.  But here's the thing:  Missy and two other cats used
to live with me in my apartment.  Tribble lived with Gail and her other
cat, Kitty.  In her household, Tribble was the "second cat" and always
deferred to Kitty, several years his senior.  At the same time, he has
ALWAYS been an agressive little bugger, prone to unexpected violence,
i.e. you're petting, you're petting, YOU'RE BLEEDING!  No notice or
reason.  After his neuter, we kept waiting for the hormones to subside,
but it never seemed like they did.  He was just a rotten little guy.
But since Gail and I both strongly believe that pets are a commitment,
she kept him, and we do both love him, in an ever-vigilant way.  When we
decided to pool our resources to leave the crumbling tower o'doom that
our apartment building had become and buy a house, we wondered how all
our cats would mesh, particularly Tribble and my alpha male, Luc.  To
our surprise, their meeting was like "Dude." "Dude," and they could
often be seen (and heard) thundering through the house in play pursuit
of one another.  But increasingly, Tribble began to bully everykitty
weaker than he was, which was pretty much every "new kid" who came
through, and eventually even his bud Luc started remembering previous
engagements when Tribble would approach.  We started seeing scratches
and bites on everybody but Kitty, who was confined to Gail's part of the
house upstairs for her own safety (she was CRF, frail, and in her last
couple of years, blind, and we didn't want the stronger ones tromping on
her even in play).  For the protection of the others, we very
reluctantly decided to have Tribble declawed.  We had it done by the
only vet in town who uses lasers, and Tribble seemed to have very
minimal discomfort afterwards.  It didn't really change his disposition,
but it gave him one less weapon to use.  He still bites, but at least he
has to get closer to them to do so, and all of them know to keep their
distance  -- he must have caught Missy unawares with the recent damage
to her backside.  He sometimes tries to "sharpen" on cardboard boxes and
such, but we've seen no impediment to him doing what he does.

So, yes, Tonya and Kelley, nothing is ever black and white.  For us,
declawing Tribble was an extreme and agonizing decision, but if we had
it to do over again, for the sake of the others, we still would.  The
alternatives were both unthinkable -- getting rid of Tribble knowing
nobody in their right mind would adopt him, or subjecting the other cats
in the household to constant danger.  Our solution wasn't perfect, but
short of having his teeth filed down it was the very best we could do.
We stand by our reputation as caring and responsible catmoms.

Diane R.