From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 3:05:49 PM
Subject: Recommendations from UTCVM

Hey all,

As promised, below is the written recommendations from UTCVM on Poppy and
Grizzabella.  Thoughts?

Subject: Current FeLV recommendations

Mr. Roberts, I apologize again for the delay.  Here are discharge instructions
for "the girls".  Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
The format is a little skewed, but should still be readable.
Thank you!
emily

TITLE: DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS
DATE OF NOTE: SEP 22, [EMAIL PROTECTED]:49 ENTRY DATE: SEP 22, [EMAIL
PROTECTED]:50:08
AUTHOR: JAMES,TERI-LEE EXP COSIGNER: PURVIS,EMILY D
URGENCY: STATUS: UNCOSIGNED
(19-27-27) GRIZZABELLA

DR. TODD DOLEN
CREEKSIDE ANIMAL HOSPITAL
1209 HIGHWAY 68
SWEETWATER, TN 37874
FS 2002 SEL/PNT
DATE OF ADMISSION: SEP 11, [EMAIL PROTECTED]:45
DATE OF DISCHARGE: SEP 11, 2007
CLINICIAN(S): Emily Purvis DVM
STUDENT: Teri-Lee James, Senior Student

Diagnosis - Feline Leukemia Virus, positive ELISA adn IFA
Thank you for bringing Poppie and Grizzabella to UTCVM!
Poppie and Grizzabella were referred to UTCVM because they tested positive for
FeLV at your referring veterinarian's office.
On physical exam both Poppie and Grizzabella appeared to be in good health and
all of their physical parameters were within normal limits.
We took a blood sample from both cats and submitted them for an ELISA and an
IFA
test for FeLV. The ELISA test was initially positive at Dr. Dolen's office, but
sometimes that can be false, so we retested. The ELISA tests for viral antigens
circulating freely in the cats' bloodstream. The IFA test detects antigen
present on infected blood cells and indicates bone marrow infection.
Both Poppie and Grizzabella tested positive on both tests, indicating that the
virus has infected their bone marrow. Most cats that test positive on the IFA
test remain persistently infected for life.
FeLV is transmitted from cat to cat via the oronasal route and by bite wounds.
The virus replicates in lymphoid tissue and travels via infected cells to the
spleen, thymus and to lymph nodes throughout the body as well as to the
salivary
glands. Eventually the bone marrow becomes infected, producing infected white
blood cells and platelets.
Many cats remain asymptomatic throughout life. Weight loss is the most common
clinical sign, followed by fever, dehydration, rhinitis (nose infections),
diarrhea, conjunctivitis (redness of the eyes) and oral infection. Infected
cats may also develop bone marrow disorders, such as decreased red or white
blood cell lines. FeLV infected cats also are at a higher risk developing
lymphoma (cancer) and secondary infections due to immune suppression.
Treatment for FeLV may include immune-modulating and antiviral medications.
However, these treatments have not been shown to be particularly effective in
many cases, particularly if cats are not showing clinical signs associated with
the disease.
CARE REQUIRED:
At this time we recommend that Poppie and Grizzabella have a complete blood
count, blood chemistry with electrolytes, and urinalysis performed as a
baseline
evaluation. This can be done at your referring veterinarian's office or at
UTCVM. Depending on the results of these tests additional diagnostic work may
be indicated, including urine culture, thoracic and abdominal radiographs
and/or
abdominal ultrasound.
Poppie and Grizzabella should continue to have annual physicals and semi-annual
labwork performed. Often times, changes on the labwork precede actual illness,
so frequent monitoring can sometimes catch a problem early. If they have any
abnormalities in their bloodwork or other diagnostic tests now or at some time
in the future it may be appropriate to start one of the immune modulating
medications that is available.
Thank you again for entrusting us with the care of your beloved pets. If you
have any further questions of concerns please do not hesitate to call.

Emily Purvis DVM
University of Tennessee
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Small Animal Intern

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.