From: Caroline Kaufmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:23:14 PM
Subject: RE: OT:Question

Alright, I am not an expert, but here's what I have know/have learned: I think
it depends on the cause of the URI-- which with cats, we know it can be many
different things and usually, it's too expensive to actually run a culture and
find out what is causing the URI (unless it's a chronically suffering cat
having a significant amount of trouble and then the cost outweighs the need).
In cats, it's usually feline herpes (a VIRUS) OR feline caliciVIRUS causing the
URI (but not always).  In general, viruses are not zoonotic (transmittable over
different species).  However, if the URI is caused by a BACTERIAL infection,
then yes, possibly it is transmittable to a dog.  Again, in general though,
cats are more prone to URIs than dogs.  I think dogs most common shelter-type,
highly contagious disease is 'kennel cough.'

Here are the 'general' rules:

There are some zoonotic diseases that can be transmissible between cats, dogs,
and humans, but they shouldn't cause upper respiratory diseases. Most are
caused by internal parasite infections, such as giardia or tapeworms. Rabies,
mange, and ringworm are other examples of zoonotic diseases. For cat and dog
upper respiratory infections, however, the disease-causing agents are usually
species-specific (hence the titles being "FELINE herpes," etc.,  and your dog
should not be able to catch the URI from a cat.  If a dog seems to come down
with a URI at the same time as a cat with a URI, (insert my lawyer-speak here),
"it's more likely than not" that the dog may have actually caught it from
another dog.
Here's a quick reference for shelters found on the internet:
http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/magazine_articles/jan_feb_1997/controlling_upper_respiratory_infections_in_your_shelter.html
Okay, again, I am no expert, but this is the information on the subject that I
have found generally.
Caroline