Caroline, belated condolences on Brumley's passing.  He was a little
fighter, and you were his angel.

Diane R.

  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline Kaufmann
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:06 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Brumley is gone

Hello all.  Sadly I have to report that my sweet foster kitten Brumley is
gone.  I know that so many of you championed his cause and helped me with
his very intensive care that started the minute I took him home from the
"condo" at the store on Dec. 22.  I so wanted him to be a success story and
in a way, he was.  His story was about not giving up, even in the face of
impossible odds and other vets writing him off as having FIP and then not
wanting to continue forward with alleviating the pain his affected eye was
causing him.  But my mom and I kept going and by the time we got to our 5th
vet, we found someone who was willing to keep working on Brumley and in the
meantime, alleviate the pain his eye was causing him- which he did and
Brumley's quality of life increased and I thought he might make it.  He
didn't stop eating and drinking until the 18th of Jan. and that is also when
he became ataxic.  But he never stopped interacting with his environment and
doing the small little things that he wanted to do- like continue to walk
around, even tho he fell sometimes- that never stopped him, hang out with
the dog whom- he loved, sniff things, curl up on me and purr, bird watch,
family wathc, and try to eat soil from the plant, etc.  He never stopped
purring either until the very end.

I was worried that with Brumley I wouldn't know when it was time.  And his
vet even said to me about 5 different times that he would "drag his feet" on
this one because he loved Brumley's grey and white coloring and the way Brum
was such a trooper and would just not give up at all!  So I worried that if
the vet drags his feet, and I drag my feet, will we keep a cat going who is
suffering?  But that didn't happen.  I don't believe Brum suffered much, if
at all.  He was perky last night and purring away in a cat box he found the
other night- after somehow making it all the way up the steps to the
housecats room and climbing in it!  He had started to fight me a lot with
syringe feeding (which I have done since Jan. 19th) and the subqu fluids-
also since the 19th.  So I was concerned that the fighting- which he had
never done before- was either a good or bad sign.  But he was fine last
night- he got his two prednisones and it was my typical evening of treating,
medicating, feeding, and babying The Brum.  But this morning, he was not
standing up in his crate and looking around and meowing- which had become
his usual morning routine.  He was laying flat and my mom thought he had
already passed.  His little front paws were gripping the crate and I had to
pry them off- he was obviously in respiratory distress- as this is my 3 time
since Monkee died in my arms in July to see this, so I know the signs b/c I
live in fear of them.  He was craning his neck like he was trying to breathe
and his breathing was rapid.  So I threw on clothes and we rushed him out to
the emergency clinic- the same one that also took my Possum on the 22 of
Jan.  Brumley's regular vet wasn't in until 9 today and he had surgeries
scheduled, so we couldn't go there.  Which I think is good b/c when I saw
his vet, I would have started balling instead of being composed and I just
think it would have been a mess for both me and him b/c he really liked this
cat.

The emergency vet said it was grave.  Clinically, he was dehydrated (despite
my 2x day fluid treatments), his liver was failing, she suspected kidneys
were next, she found granulomas throughout his body (other places besides
the eye), his temp was down again to 94, and she strongly suspected brain
damage.  She said he was definitely dying and whether it was dry FIP, Toxo
(which she doubted), or she proposed a very severe fungal infection-- either
way, none of it was reversible and everything that could be done for the cat
had been done.  It was definitely time.  Which I already knew when I decided
to take him out there.  I was with him.  Brumley was so bad off that the ER
vet couldn't get a vein, couldn't get the juglar and had already decided to
euthanize with a shot to the heart.  He was even less alert than Possum was
when we did this with him, so it was definitely the right time- he just
crashed so fast and so hard in light of how he was last night.  Since the
shot went to the heart, Brumley left this world very quickly.  The vet gave
me a hug and told me I did a good job.

Honestly, I am exhausted.  I have been doing very intensive care on Brumley
and it has taken up all of my mornings and my entire evening.  I would get
up, take care of Brum, go to work, come home, take care of Brum, go to bed,
and it would start again the next day.  So mentally and physically, I am
just worn out.  But I know that- especially being a foster cat- Brumley got
more care and better care than he ever would have if I had not intervened.
In his short, sad little life, he never got frustrated, he never got mad and
I don't really think he knew he was sick, but he definitely knew love and
had things in this world that- for a very brief time- made him happy and
made his existence better.

I have offered his body to his vet who's been treating him since Jan. b/c he
had a special interest in Brum and I wanted to make the offer in case he
wants to do a necropsy or just take a look at the eye.  So maybe we will get
some answers, maybe not.  If he doesn't want to do a necropsy, then I will
leave it at that.

Thank you to all who cared and helped me with Brumley's extremely difficult
case.  Oddly enough, I had a dream about Monkee last night and I haven't
dreamed about him in a while.  Yes, I think about him every single day, but
he hasn't visited me in a dream as clear as he did last night in a long
time.  As soon as my mom woke me up to tell me Brumley was not doing well, I
knew it was time because I think Monkee came to me to tell me it was time
and he was coming to take Brumley home.

Caroline K.

  _____

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
power. Play now!
<http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_jan>

  _____

<http://biggestloser.msn.com/>