________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of laurieskatz
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:40 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: FeLV Vaccination

Interacting can also be a problem for the immune compromised feline
leukemia positive cat. That kitty can pick up things from the other cats
and not be able to fight them off. If I hadopted or rescued a FeLV
positive cat, I would not comingle but I might try to find him a friend
as long as the friend didn't stress him/her. I know others here do
comingle.

If I found out one of my existing cats was positive, I wouldn't change
things and they would all continue to live together. In the past,
whenever I have brought a new cat in, I have made certain our feleuk
vaccinations were current. I am not a fan of those vaccinations because
of VAS so I don't think I would vaccinate for that again...plus my vet
thinks the first series of feleuk vaccinations is enough protection for
life. This is just my opinion and experience. Others who have co mingled
are a better source of advice and information.

My friend had Sass, a negative, in with a group of positives. Sass was
not vaccinated for FeLV because she thought he was positive. They all
lived together and after 5 years my friend wondered why Sass never got
sick when the others did. She (re?)tested him and found out he was
negative. That was over 5 years ago. He was removed from the room at the
time and is still alive and well!