Hopefully I'm not repeating something here, but we've
had 2 young females (both approx 8 mos) in 2 different
feral colonies recently with pyometra.  One was
obviously ill and close to death.  The other was just
dumb luck -   trapped her expecting a routine spay and
was very surprised to find out.  Both cats survived.
But that's another reason to tip the spay or not
scale.

Janine