Hi Sam,

  Some of my mail to the list isn't making it.  I'm sorry for your loss.
Rescues are hard to lose.  I don't give my positive any supplements.  She is
not symptomatic or anything.  Is Gus showing any problems?

  How many cats do you have that you have to separate him?  I know others on
the list use vitamin c, lysine, transfer factor, and other supplements.
Hopefully they will chime in.

  tonya

Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi Sam,
First of all, bless you and your wife for opening your hearts and home to those
in need.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Yes, we all get how quickly our hearts
can be stolen by the wayward ones that find us just a little too late.  I'm so
glad you were there for your rescue friend to show him that humans are capable
of love and compassion.  Now Grumpy Gus has entered your life and given you
another opportunity to fight this dreadful disease...

I haven't been active on the felv list in a while, but recently there was some
trouble with the list serve and it caused my subscription to change from
"digest" to "inbox" and I peeked in to see how things were going for the good
people here.  It was in that vein that I opened your post and noticed that no
one had responded yet.  I went to check on the mail-archive page and not only
are there no replies, but your original message isn't there either.  It may
have something to do with the recent trouble.  Anyway, I didn't want you to
think that no one cares about what you are going through.  I'm sure others will
step in to help inform you, (or correct me if my memory is faulty or current
thinking has changed).

There are many supplements that the folks on this list have found helpful for
boosting the immune system of kitties fighting/living with the disease.  As
you've indicated you are aware that Gus could throw the virus, (retesting is
usually done 90-120 days after initial diagnosis).  Keeping the environment as
stress free as possible, as good a quality diet as you can afford, supplements
and lots of encouragement and love have helped my felv and fiv guys live longer
and healthier lives.

I'm trying to remember all the supps I've used...  There's Transfer Factor,
CoQ10, L-Lysine, Vitamin supps, (esp C)...  I've often wondered if feline
interferon might be more effective on cats that have recently contracted the
disease and are in the process of fighting it off.   Hopefully others will jump
in to help you sort it all out.  Are you familiar with ELISA, (in-house "snap"
test), vs IFA, (more conclusive test sent out of office)?  There is a wealth of
information in the lists archives and right about the time I left the list
someone started another felv support group that might help you as well.

The very best to you, Gus and your whole family.  You will be in my thoughts
and prayers,
Nina

Message: 1  Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:13:15 -0600  From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Subject: Greetings Again  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
format=flowed    Greetings Again,    I have not been very active here since the
passing of my LeLV cat Elric   Whiteybone. Since then I have been active in cat
rescue.    Recently I have lost another cat to this disease, he came to our
back   porch, and rubbed between my wifes legs. He was more than friendly, but
 he had a full mucus mustache on his face.    He tested positive for LeLV but
not FIV, the respiratory infection which   was giving him his mucus mustache
did not respond to any of the 5+   antibiotics we used on him. We named him Gio
short for Giovanni.    With in two weeks the disease did it work on his body
along with the   respiratory infection. On a Saturday we took him to our Rescue
Groups   Veterinarian.
 We got there way early and were able to spend over an hour with him there.
When the Veterinarian got there, she asked if this was our kitty or a   rescue
kitty. We responded he was a rescue kitty and that we were   staying with him
while his time came.    So while the Veterinarian gave him the meds to ease his
passing, my wife   and I were holding and touching him. We both felt him relax
then go   totally limp. After a bit the Vet listened for his heart, and said he
  was gone.    We spent another 15 minutes with him. Later the Vet came in and
asked   what we wanted to do with Gio's body. We replied that we already had
place dug for him in our back yard by our porch and the catnip bush that   grew
nearby. She seemed taken a back that we were doing this for a   rescue kitty. I
believe she got her eyes opened about those that rescue   cats/kitties.    We
took him home and placed him in the spot we prepared for him.    We have been
putting food out of the strays in our
 neighborhood, getting   them snipped and returned.    We recently heard a
sound while we were eating breakfast coming from our   back patio. It sounded
like two male cats squaring off to fight. When we   looked it was a single
domestic short haired Gray male cat.    We named him Gus as in Grumpy Gus. He
was at first a bit shy, but later   became much easier to handle. We spoke to
our rescue group about him,   offered to foster him, they said they would pay
for his testing and   snipping if we fostered him.    Well the news from the
testing was not good, it was the SNAP test and by   that test he was positive
for LeLV. We have him in a separate bedroom   where he gets his love and food.
  I am wondering if any here have any experience with the various immune
system enhancing drugs/compounds.    I want to boost his immune system so he
has a chance to throw off the   infection prior to his next series of tests. As
of right now he has no   symptoms of any disease.    Sam