welcome, welcome, welcome--oh, someone who understands the big words in the
scientific literature! how wonderful!

sadly, promising research here tends to only have meaning if a drug company
thinks it can make money from it in the near future--there are actually, if
you do a search of the medical literature, a number of promising therapies
that have never been followed up on.

The Merck Veterinary Manual -Feline Leukemia Virus and Related Diseases:
Introduction<http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/57000.htm&word=feline%2cleukemia>is
now using the figures that FeLV sanctuaries and owners of more than
one
positive cat have known anedcotally for years: that healthy, adult cats seem
to be able to either not become infected, or to throw the virus off. these
observations were ignored; they still are being ignored, actually, but it's
more difficult for the 'professionals' to ignore the merck. someone pointed
out a turn of phrase that i think is VERY important: that the virus will be
TRANSMITTED to the negative cats, which is not the same things as saying
that the virus will cause the negative cats INFECTED with the virus causing
persistent viremia.

i don't know how much you know about the practice of trapping/neutering and
releasing feral cats, but one of the main groups here that does that no
longer tests for FIV and FeLV, and have a very good position statement
somewhere on their website (www.alleycats.org) on why they've made that
decision. if FeLV were as contagious--and as widespread--as we continue to
be told it is--despite a growing body of evidence otherwise--there wouldn't
be a feral problem anymore, one could surmise.

i think that the position that many of us take is this: that when the first
line of treatment for these cats has been the easiest, ie, euthanasia, there
hasn't been a population to do research on, so we do not know anywhere near
as much as we could, or SHOULD, know by now.

many of us on this list are constantly, daily, educating people--many of
whom should know better--about what is and what is not known about the virus
and how it works. sometimes i know that i feel like i'm shouting into the
wind, because i keep repeating the same things. right now i am trying to
find time to make a list of the research done in the past few years, because
i know that they have finally begun to do some--and i don't like quoting
things that are out-of-date. unfortunately, i am NOT a scientist, so i do
not always understand the more technical details, but i can usually get the
gist....

there's one study from awhile back that showed promise using snake
venom--that hasn't been followed-up on, either, tho one shelter is trying to
fund, on their own, a small-scale version of it. (using a statistically
insignificant sample size, so i'm confused about it's
validity/reliability--and i can't even remember the difference between those
two.)

i've found so many hypotheses to explain away unexpected results, and too
many vets who seem to forget that a hypothesis is just that--it is not proof
of anything, yet these not-always-even-very-good-guesses are being used as
excuses to kill more cats, or to excuse not actually finding answers. so it
is WONDERFUL to know that someone with the background to understand better
than many of us is noticing that pathways with promise have been shut off.

i myself don't have access to pubmed articles, so unless i can find one of
my doc friends at a good moment, i often only can read the abstracts, which
is annoying. i think that there are probably a couple of us on the list who
would love to see a bibliography of the things you've found, and take a
look.

the winn feline foundation (www.winnfelinehealth.org) has published links to
a number of recent articles relating to FIV/FeLV in the past few months--you
can subscribe to their blog if you don't already. i know that there was some
stuff that they published themselves in 2005, but i'm not sure it's
available to the general public.....

i have not encountered the SPA protocol in my wanderings, which is a big
part of the problem--it's so hard to know who has found what--but i'd like
to know more about it.

so glad to have you with us, and hope that we can all learn from one
another.

MC

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 6:51 PM, hebert ferrarezzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  Hello! nice to meet you.
>
> I am from Brazil and new to this talk group. If you're not attracted to
> read so much, please, just jump to essential questions at the last
> paragraph.
>

> I have 14 cats, four of them FeLV+, persistently viremic, according to the
> results of four IFA tests carried through the last 6 months. Pupa, a siamese
> female 8 years old is the only showing advanced symptoms of illness, having
> developed lymphoma (diagnosed in April, in a submandibular lymphnode). The
> other three positives are very well and without any complication beyond
> leucopenia. The FeLV+ cats have been kept isolated from the others 10
> animals (which have been recurrently tested negative for the same period). I
> am biologist and scientific researcher in the area of taxonomy and evolution
> but, since the beginning of this year, into an hard attempt to digest an
> amount of literature on veterinary and human (cancer and AIDS, specifically)
> medicine, in search of some alternative solution to one given by the vets
> who diagnosed the problem in the colony: "We are sorry to inform, but you it
> will go to lose all the positives in a short period of time".
>

> Sometimes I wonder it wasn't better if I had overlooked those papers in the
> first NCBI PubMed search. Since then I am trying to understand why such
> promising line of research have been discontinued after the 1990's.  The
> subsequent articles contradicting those finds are too few and, although a
> randomized controlled clinical trial, reporting there is no significant
> statistical difference between treated and placebo groups, a large amount of
> the early finds were left untouched, given no alternative explanation to a
> number of cases reporting remission of FeLV infection and FeLV related
> lymphosarcoma.
>

> I had no choice, and nothing to lose, so I decided to begin a treatment
> from my own. I still haven't read all the early talks in this mailing list,
> but I expect many of you have already realized what the matter is; indeed I
> believe that some have previously experienced such drama. If so, I hope you
> can share with me some results, conclusions or just your doubts and
> opinions. I'll be very pleased in putting my preliminary impression, to
> plant my doubts and discuss possible outcomes.
>

> DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE TRIED A TREATMENT WITH STAPHYLOCOCCAL PROTEIN A
> (SPA)?
>
> HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT ANY SUCCESSFUL OR UNSUCCESSFUL TRIAL OUTSIDE THE
> CIENTIFIC LITERATURE?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Hebert
>
> from São Paulo