I'm so sorry, Kim.  I know it's not a lot of consolation that you had
him with you for 6-1/2 years when a healthy cat can live 3 times that
long, but it *is* an extraordinary age for a FeLV+ kitty and both of you
fought the good fight and loved each other fiercely for all that time.
Don't try to second-guess yourself about whether it was the exact time
to help him end it -- I think one of the other members of this list
would say "better a day too early than a second too late."

When you are talking to him, as Marylyn has suggested, invite him to
visit you.  So many people have experienced what they feel is a visit
from their departed pets -- maybe you're in bed and it feels like
somekitty is walking on the bed, but when you look nobody's there, that
kind of thing.  And if you ever move, specifically invite Cole to the
new place too.

And finally, once it stops hurting quite so badly, be open to the idea
of finding another kitty, not to "take his place" but to fill the void.
He won't want you to be lonely, and so many times people have said they
felt that their departed kitty has led them right to a new one to love.

Hugs to you and to Cole in his new home, where he is undoubtedly
swapping "great mommy" stories with our kitties there.

Diane R.