I have two female cats that I rescued from a shelter in the first week of
August (one had a litter of kittens 2 days after I picked them up).I have had
them for a month now. They have been in the same room but have had no contact
with eachother or the others dishes, litterbox, etc.(they sleep in their own
giant dogs crates and have little litter boxes and food and water and
everything so it's almost like what you see at shelters) They each get 12 hours
in their crate and 12 hours out in the room so they don't stir crazy - when the
other one is out the crate is turned so they can't see eachother or have face
to face contact. I am unfortunately very familiar with feline leukemia, we had
a sanctuary for FELV+ cats and our last one just died last October so I am very
cautious and aware of the disease and probably know more than most do about it.
Because of this though I think maybe I'm paranoid about it. The kittens are a
month old now and really need to have free roam of the room so I was going to
get the mom cat and the other girl I have tested so they can cohabitate in the
room until they get fixed and to new homes. I have 12 personal cats and don't
have any 'free rooms' to let them each have one or I would do that. A rescuer
bailed last minute which is how I ended up with two cats. I'm just worried that
the incubation period for FELV is 2 months and it's only been one month and I
don't know where they came from or what they were exposed to prior to me
getting them. I also know FELV in adult cats, usually takes prolonged exposure
unless it was transmitted inutero. SO - am I being too paranoid? Should I just
get them tested and not worry about it if it comes back neg?My vet said a month
should be a fair place to test them at and he's never had a neg come back pos
later on....
 Michelle Brockman