Hi, Michelle,  Your post caught my attention. I would tend to agree with your
veterinarian about the one month time for testing. Even for kittens. I have
worked with Feline Leukemia cats since 1985 and we currently have around 25-35
at any given time. IN spite of the fact that kittens are more susceptible to
FeLV, etc. I do agree that if they come up negative, they probably will remain
negative. We have several test cases with adult cats, as has my shelter vet who
has her own FeLine Leukemia sanctuary, where adult cats that are negative
living with the FeLV cats remain negative all their lives. You'll get as many
opinions as there are people, but do what you feel is best for the two kits. If
your two month old kittens show no signs of any health symptoms, my feeling
would be that they are going to test negative. Good luck with them. I would be
interested to learn the ages that your FeLV sanctuary cats lived to be, and
what were the illnesses that eventually took their lives. I am always
interested in learning more from others with experience. Thanks, Carmen (I
know, I'm mostly a lurker here, but I love reading the posts when I get the
chance!!) > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:51:13 +0000> Subject: [Felvtalk] Need Opinions on Testing
new cats for FELV> > > I have two female cats that I rescued from a shelter in
the first week of August (one had a litter of kittens 2 days after I picked
them up).I have had them for a month now. They have been in the same room but
have had no contact with eachother or the others dishes, litterbox, etc.(they
sleep in their own giant dogs crates and have little litter boxes and food and
water and everything so it's almost like what you see at shelters) They each
get 12 hours in their crate and 12 hours out in the room so they don't stir
crazy - when the other one is out the crate is turned so they can't see
eachother or have face to face contact. I am unfortunately very familiar with
feline leukemia, we had a sanctuary for FELV+ cats and our last one just died
last October so I am very cautious and aware of the disease and probably know
more than most do about it. Because of this though I think maybe I'm paranoid
about it. The kittens are a month old now and really need to have free roam of
the room so I was going to get the mom cat and the other girl I have tested so
they can cohabitate in the room until they get fixed and to new homes. I have
12 personal cats and don't have any 'free rooms' to let them each have one or I
would do that. A rescuer bailed last minute which is how I ended up with two
cats. I'm just worried that the incubation period for FELV is 2 months and it's
only been one month and I don't know where they came from or what they were
exposed to prior to me getting them. I also know FELV in adult cats, usually
takes prolonged exposure unless it was transmitted inutero. SO - am I being too
paranoid? Should I just get them tested and not worry about it if it comes back
neg?My vet said a month should be a fair place to test them at and he's never
had a neg come back pos later on....> Michelle Brockman >