Today I had to have my sweet little kitty Buzz PTS.  I feel like a very large
piece of me is missing.

The first time I saw Buzz I fell in love with him.  He was terrified, cowering
between two up-ended mattresses in an unused bedroom at my brothers' house.  He
had been abused by neighborhood boys in an urban area where my brother used to
live.  When my sister in law, Lee, rescued him he was very sick, full of
parasites, starving and near death.  She and my brother nursed him back to
physical health but he was still terrified of people. They named him Buzz Saw
because of the way his claws flew whenever anyone got near him.  That day Lee
caught him in a blanket and handed him to me.  I sat with him and gently pet
him and talked to him.  Within about 20 minutes he was purring. Before we left
that day he reached up to me and touched noses.

After about a week I talked my husband into keeping him.  When I brought him
home I put him into our study so he had a smaller space to get used to, and to
keep him separate from the other cats. When I took him to the vet a few days
later his feline leukemia test came back positive.  Buzz was going to live in
the study for quite a while so I filled it with cat toys and a cat tree and
pretty much spoiled him as much as much as I could. Every evening I would spend
hours with him.  I was working on a computer project and he kept me company
with that. That is how it was from January of '07 to April.  At that point it
was clear that keeping him separate was not working.  We vaccinated the other
cats for feline leukemia and released Buzzy into the rest of the house.  He
loved his new freedom and became every ones quiet little shadow. He loved to
watch what was going on.  His favorite place was a window bench that looks out
on the bird feeder.  At night he either slept on a ledge right behind my head
or cuddled up next to me, purring.  When July came I noticed that he seemed to
have no energy and was not eating.  When we took him to the vet the diagnosis
was anemia.  With heavy doses of prednesolone his health and red blood count
began to come back.  I was so happy watching my sweet boy gaining back his
energy and appetite.  While he was recuperating I would take him out to sit on
the deck on my lap.  He loved sniffing the outdoor smells and feeling the warm
sunshine on his fur.  He would sit and purr out there for as long as I could
sit and hold him.  In the evenings Buzzy loved to chase DaBird and the laser
pointer.  His blood was being tested every couple of weeks and soon it was in
the normal range.  We began to back off on the prednesolone.  For several weeks
everything was going well until the week that his blood count started going the
wrong direction.  I prayed that it was just the one time but unfortunately not.
 That horrible disease was in his bone marrow and the medication was no longer
helping.  For the last several weeks I watched as he became more and more
lethargic.  We offered him every special treat we could think of to keep him
eating and he would nibble on those tidbits almost to the end.  He would sit
all day on his window seat and for the last week we carried him to the litter
box.  He always watched every move I made as I moved around the kitchen. Today
when he just put his head down in exhaustion instead of watching, I knew it was
time to say goodbye to my darling boy. When I took him to the vet I told him
how much I have loved him and asked him to meet me at the bridge.  Then he went
to sleep in my arms.  I will miss him so very much, but now he is in a place
where there is no feline leukemia.

Sue