Hi, Avia --

I'm so sorry you lost Cinder.  It must have been a terrible shock to
everybody.  Gentle Bridge vibes to her.

I think your instincts are right about Onyx.  She will be much happier if
she's allowed to mix with the others, and probably at this point anybody who
would have gotten FeLV has already gotten it.  As you've noted, many members
here have successfully mixed their kitties.  

It sounds like you're doing everything right.  Give Onyx the best food you
can, keep up with vet visits so things don't sneak up on you (although as
you've seen with Cinder, sometimes sh*t happens awfully fast).  I'm sure
others on this list will have more pointers for you.  Oh, and brava for
taking in this smorgasbord of kitties!

Diane R. 

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of James G Wilson
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 12:42 PM
To: Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Fwd: New to the list, would like some advice!

From:    avia.rausc...@gmail.com
Subject: New to the list, would like some advice!


I'll try to make the history brief but clear (not always easy for me), we
adopted a kitten from AC&C here in NYC in July 2007 to keep our cranky, one
and a half year old, only cat Onyx company. The kitten (Cinder) was 9 weeks
old and tested negative at adoption for FeLV. We added a third cat (Horus)
from a rescue group that October (tested negative after adoption, the rescue
group said he was negative, but there was no record of testing with his
paperwork), and this past October added a tamed feral (Blackie) to the mix
(kept separate from the other three until she was medically cleared and
tested negative).

On January 12, 2009 our darling little Cinder was diagnosed with lymphoma
after an extremely sudden decline (fine on Friday, heavy breathing, not
eating/drinking, hiding under the bed Sunday night) at one year and eight
months of age. I took her to the vet first thing Monday morning, and after
xrays and an ultrasound found her chest so full of fluid she couldn't
breathe and a massive tumor in her liver, we made the decision to let her go
rather than tormenting her with treatment to make ourselves feel better. The
postmortem tests revealed that Cinder had FeLV. We were in shock and
couldn't believe how quickly she got sick!

Onyx is a three year old persian, Horus is a five year old mix
(Siberian/Maine Coon?) and Blackie is a dsh. Onyx and Blackie have been the
picture of health, Horus was diagnosed with asthma almost a year ago and is
on Flovent twice a day.

After waiting the recommended two months, I had the other three tested this
past Thursday. Horus and Blackie are negative, but Onyx came up positive.
Yesterday, I had Horus & Blackie vaccinated, and the IFA test results for
Onyx will be back in about a week. For now I have some questions that maybe
some of you can answer:

1. My vet said no booster was necessary for the vaccinated cats, yet I see
many references here to 30 day boosters - should I ask again or insist on
the boosters?

2. The vet said to separate my kitties, but I can't stand the idea of
locking Onyx up. From what I read, most of you seem to mix your positive and
negative-vaccinated kitties, so am I being awful by not separating them?
They say low stress environment, but Onyx likes to roam the apartment and it
seems like it would be very stressful for her to be confined.

3. I feed my kitties Weruva canned and California Natural dry. I was
thinking about supplementing with a vitamin like Nupro. Any suggestions in
that department? Onyx is very picky, and it has been difficult to find foods
that she will eat that don't upset her tummy.

I guess that's it for now, any advice anyone can give will be most


James G. Wilson - phaed...@charter.net
http://www.felineleukemia.org (FeLV Research & Support)
http://www.myspace.com/wilsonjamesg (MySpace) http://weather62025.com
(Weather for Edwardsville, IL)

Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to