Hi Kerry,

   One of my cats (FeLV-) was diagnosed with asthma about a year ago. The
symptoms for asthma and heartworm are similar, I guess, but the vet was
confident it was not heartworm (she did not test for that, but did a couple of
tests for asthma), and Horus responded beautifully to Flovent, so we are sure
it was not heartworm. The vet told us that it is more prevalent in the South
and other warmer climates. I bought heartworm meds for my dog recently (while
my cats were having their tests) and no recommendation was made for putting any
of the cats on any heartworm preventative. I don't know where you live, but it
seems that in the Northeast at least it is not as much of a concern for cats as
it for dogs. If you live in a warmer climate or travel to warmer climates with
your cat(s), then it may be a good idea. Hope this is helpful!

Avia