I'm so sorry Susan. What a shock for you.
I had this very discussion yesterday with a rescuer. We were commenting on how
quickly and devastatingly our FeLV cats can succumb. One day they can seem ok,
the next they're gone. In my experience I've had a few days' notice. But by
that time the nonregenerative anemia was taking its toll, or the lungs were
full of fluid, or there were masses of tumors.
Cats as we know are very good at hiding pain. You said that looking back he may
have seemed a bit lethargic. One thing that will happen now--I'm sure we all
agree on this--you will become ultra-observant and notice every little change
in behavior in any of your cats in future (it pretty well always means
something is amiss, and is all we often have to go on). It was only after my
very first FeLV cat passed that I realized his habit in the last few weeks of
sitting with his back to everyone had with hindsight meant he wasn't feeling
good (probably understatement). I consider it his legacy to the rest of
us---I'm ever-vigilant now for any hint of behavior change.
I would just make sure your remaining sweetie gets oodles of cuddles and
attention now which I'm sure you're already doing. This is a tough time for him
to be sure. Maybe consider a new FeLV companion for him in due course...
Devastating though it is, your little sweetie at least had a peaceful passing.
That's what I would wish for mine. Fast, and no vet visit involved.
Give your little sweetie a cuddle from me,
Kerry