At my work I always recommend that things like litter boxes, scratching posts,
and most toys not made of plastic be replaced regardless of FELV/FIV status.
These are things that should periodically be replaced anyway for sanitary
reasons. I recommend against plastic bowls for food and water as the plastic
absorbs oils and can cause facial acne and other skin issues. If bowls and
plates are glass, ceramic, or stainless steel I would say they're fine to use.
I would say if your carrier is one of the hard plastic ones a good cleaning
should suffice.
Most of the information out there does say that the virus doesn't last long
outside of the body though it does die faster on dry surfaces as opposed to
wet.
Hope this helps, good luck finding your new forever friend or friends!

Tanya

--- On Sat, 6/13/09, doggone...@doggonefit.com <doggone...@doggonefit.com>