Georgetta,
Here are more links that I could find on when to test, somewhat
contradictory.  Since the Elisa looks for antigens, not antibodies,
you can test as young as you like without worrying about maternal
antibodies interfering.  But, since the virus needs some time to
incubate (I'm seeing anywhere from 2-9 weeks mentioned) the earlier
you test, the greater a risk you run of getting a false negative.
Maybe decide based on risk factors, quarantining those from colonies
with a history of positives, those from hoarders, the runts, and
sickies as long as possible, and quickly socializing those born to
indoor only cats in small number homes (oops litters, or the "I just
wanted the kids to see the miracle of birth" babies)?  Most cats are
adopted out as negative on the basis of just one test, and most
adopters don't retest, so there are probably a lot of positives
slipping through already anyway.

Beth

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/FeLV_Web.pdf

“Vaccination for FeLV does not affect test results since the tests are
for viral antigens, not antibodies. Kittens can be tested at any age
because maternal immunity does not interfere with testing.”

http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/17.html

“Diagnosis is made by clinical signs and a positive blood test.
Testing is recommended for kittens at least 8-9 weeks of age, all
stray cats, and ill cats.  Because of the incubation period and also
the cat’s ability to fight off the disease, it is recommended to
perform two tests at least two months apart.  A new kitten or stray
cat could be incubating FeLV, and if tested too early in the disease,
will receive a false negative result on the test.”

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/iyer/index.php

“Viremia is usually evident 2-4 weeks after FeLV infection.”

http://www.felineleukemia.org/felvhlth.html

Chart for testing protocols which recommends final testing be done 90
days post exposure, if possible.  Also gives different protocols based
on known versus unknown exposure history.