Hi, my cat was the picture of health about two weeks ago. She’s 2 years
old, female, spayed, orange tabby. She would literally bounce off the walls
running around the house. She’s so wonderful ♥

Anyway, about two weeks ago, she started sleeping constantly, and one day
(9/17) I noticed her nose, gums, and pads had turned white…instead of
their normal pink. So I took her in and they took some blood…said that day
that she is VERY anemic L Since that was a Friday, we got the results the
following Monday. FeLV L She barely eats, almost never uses the litter box
(and her urine is pretty dark when she does go), sleeps almost 24 hours a
day, and has lost a bit of weight (not good when she only started at 7lbs
in the first place L).

I got her Pet-tinic vitamins cuz a vet suggested them. I tried to get her
to drink kitten formula cuz I figured part of it’s job is to help kittens
build up their immune systems. She was put on antibiotics the Monday that
her tests came back. After 4-5 days, she began refusing the medicine. It’s
a liquid and she would spit it all back out. So, she probably didn’t get
all she was supposed to.

When she does eat, it is usually just the liquid part of canned cat food.
She is still able to jump off the bed and walk to the kitchen (where the
dry food bowl and litter box are), but usually wears out on her way back
out of the kitchen, and lays down. She is so skinny…I’m not even sure she
has much muscle left. She has always been skinny, but not like this.

Well, a few days ago, her white pads and nose started turning yellow. I
know that has something to do with her liver not working right.

Oh yeah…the way the vet put her anemia…normal range is 29%-45% (or
something like that), and my kitty’s came back at 16% L

Does anyone have any advice as to what we could do to help her? How will we
know if she has pain?

The vet that gave us the results (a substitute cuz regular vet was out for
the week) said if she makes it the next couple months, and seems any
better, to get her re-tested. That some cats fight it off and can test
negative a couple months later. So, that means SOME cats get over this. And
I read online that some cats live for a few years with it, after showing
symptoms. Just gives me a little hope…then I look at her…and she looks so
bad…and I think there isn’t much hope. So hard to watch.

At what point do you give up and have an FeLV+ cat put to sleep? I figured
if she shows signs of being in pain (once I know what those are), or has a
seizure, or absolutely stops eating and drinking anything, that it would be
time. I don’t want her to suffer, but I also want to give her every chance
to survive…ya know?

Anyway, thanks for letting me go on and on…as you can tell this is really
very hard on me emotionally, as I’m sure it is on anyone and everyone who
has to deal with it.

~Anndrea