Alice....I'm thrilled for you.  I've been concerned...things didn't look too
good not so long ago.  Congratulations!

Sara

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Alice Flowers
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 1:13 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Murphy's little comeback-he definitely has 9 lives!!

      We just got back from Murphy's vet check. The end of July, he was
crashing
with anemia-(in office PCV 18) HCT 22.3  RBC 3.5   HGB 5.1 even his Absolute

Reticulocyte count was 35200 and the lab notation said a count of over 50000
was
evidence of regenerative anemia-which he was below that level. Our vet had
us
give him Procrit 3x a week, Doxy, Cypro and an iron supplement. He was
getting
Interferon 2x a day and we bumped the LTCI to every 2 weeks. He rebounded
from
that-in 2 months he went to HCT 38.7  RBC  6.48  HGB 11.6.
       Then 2 weeks ago he seemed to be breathing really fast-I took him in
and
his lung sounds were raspy and an ultrasound showed lots of fluid pockets,
so
much that she couldn't see his heart or lungs-she suspected Lymphoma-sent us

home with Lasix and Prednisolone to add to his meds 2x a day, lowered the
Procrit to 2x a week and we bumped his LTCI to once a week. Dawn on this
list
said Rutin helped-I immediately went to the health food store and bought the

tablets and a pill grinder and put the powder into #3 gel caps and gave him
2 a
day.  She thought that he may not make 2 weeks judging by the fluid and how
much
trouble he was having with his fast breathing-it's 2 weeks today and his
lung
sounds are good-the fluid is 99.5% gone!!! His gums are still nice and pink.
We
did not do a CBC, but the in office PCV was 36!! I told her about the Rutin
and
she was impressed (thank you Dawn!!!) and said that they had used it for
other
conditions, but didn't think of using it on FeLV cats-now she will!! We will

stay on the same meds for now but drop the Procrit to only once a week since
he
seems to be regenerating now.
    I am so grateful for this list and all of the selfless people out there
trying to give these kitties a good life, no matter how short. I have
learned so
much from all of you and I am no longer afraid to ask my vet questions and
to do
what I feel is good for my babies. We are all in a limbo trying keep our
cats
healthy and happy. This disease is horrible-we lost the 4 brothers a year
ago....I was not ready to lose Murphy-he is such a happy and silly cat-he's
poly with 3 thumbs-he goes click click when trotting down the hallway and
acts
more like a puppy than a cat. He's not a lap cat, but is right there and
likes
to lay nearby and reach out and keep a paw on you-just likes to touch. He
and
Rosie automatically come into the kitchen morning and night and wait for
their
meds-she is just on Interferon and LTCI monthly-her HCT was 44.7 a few weeks

ago. Our vet said to come back in a month for CBCs!! Purrayers and positive
thoughts-at least today.....Alice and the furry cats that own us!!

http://www.eset.com