Hi everyone:
(cross posting on the lists we belong to).
Just a follow-up to the biopsy and post yesterday.  I want to thank everyone
for all the help and support during this time.  It means more than you know.
The vet called last night and the pathologist's analysis confirmed what she
initially thought -
Spanky has large cell lymphoma or she called it lymphoblastic.  She thought his
blood results weren't bad for his status.  She talked to the oncologist about
his case also and the onc. wants to see him tomorrow morning to discuss chemo
options since I want to try to treat this/ buy him some more time.

I know the aggressive chemo protocol is more the IV chemo plus pill but I'm
wary of doing that to his body right now. I would really appreciate thoughts on
types of chemo for this type of lymphoma - large cell lymphoma for his
mediastinal cranial mass (maybe about 2cm now instead of 2.5cm when we started
prednisolone).  He's not eating as well as he should either and steadily losing
weight even though he seems to eat overnight well and I syringe food him too.
We didn't test the cells to see if they T or B cells.

The vet said it varies but they normally follow the UW Madison protocol for
treating this type - Cyclophosphamide, prednisolone and the vincristine.  I
want him to have quality of life over suffering bad side effects. I know
someone wrote that the lymphoma makes them sicker than chemo so I'm keeping
that in mind as well.   We discussed vincristine iv or pill form or doing
IV+pill.  I'm just worried about aggressive treatment since he's losing weight,
weaker, FELV+, early HCM, and is not young strong kitty.  He's aged about 10
years in 1 year it seems!

So much to consider and so confusing! Please send us healing thoughts any any
advice you can before our appt tomorrow
morning.

I found an interesting chart on the various protocols from a vet site but am
not sure if I can post the link?

Purrs,
Stacy and Spanky

Re: Spanky - blood test/ultrasound - patiently waiting for biopsy re
Posted by: "stacy_zacher" stacy_zac...@yahoo.com   stacy_zacher
Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:17 pm (PST)

(cross posting on the lists we belong to).

Thanks to everyone for all the purrayers and sending healing thoughts for
Spanky. I'm still waiting for the vet to get his biopsy results back and call
me. She said it could be today or tomorrow. We got there at 9:30am yesterday,
they did a blood panel, quick ultrasound to see if the mass was still there. It
was :-(.

Regarding his blood test results - everything except his WBC and related counts
were normal last time (about a month ago). This time his liver values are
elevated slightly AST is 55 (range 14-54), ALT is 147 (range 26-128)(from
pred?), wbc is up from 2400 to 6(from pred?),