From: M C <mliciou...@yahoo.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:22 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Weak+ FeLV Mom v. Baby- Test Protocols

We have a teen Mom kitty who tested "weak positive" on the felv/fiv snap test 1
month after she was rescued. She had 3 kittens on a cold day out in the open
before we found her. 1 kitten died the first day b/c she wasn't keeping him
warm, 2nd one died within a week (Mom rejected & we tried to BF but he faded),
3rd kitten survived conjunctivits, and is small but growing daily and eating
really well.

Since she tested "weak positive," should we rest on the ELISA (sent to lab)
test
to make sure she even has it? We need to know b/c her surviving kitten may or
may not have FeLV, depending on whether this is a "false positive" or if she's
fighting off the infection from past exposure The kitten is only 6 weeks old,
and we heard testing him now won't mean anything, so we'd have to start testing
him in 1 month, then again after that IF the Mom is indeed felv positive.
We're
just not sure if we should assume he is felv positive b/c of the Mom's snap
test
result, which I know is notoriously faulty, esp. on older kitties like this.

Thanks in advance,

Sara