I'd say if any aged cat tests consistantly positive multiple times on any
test, it is positive (faint or otherwise).

Retest the mommy (in a month or two) and kitten (when it grows up a little
more). See what happens.

I tested mine two or three times before I accepted in my mind that they were
positive and going to stay that way.