From: Anne Myles <anne.my...@uni.edu>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Dublin woke up from surgery blind - UPDATE

Well I got surprisingly good news when I stopped at the vet around 5:00! Dublin
is calmer, he drank and ate well, AND his pupils are showing light reflex now!!
They constricted and he even flinched away when the vet shone the light in his
eyes. So at least he should be able to sense light and dark, and with this much
improvement in one afternoon who knows what there will be in a few days?

The vet used inhaled anesthetic, not ketamine.  It's still a mystery to him why
this happened, and he is *extremely* cutting-edge and educated and experienced,
and has never seen anything like this. It's not from hypoxia as the way they do
the anesthetic apparently prevents that (the patient is getting oxygen during
and after), not hypertension as that would show signs in the eye. Maybe
something neurologic related to the FeLV?  The vet and I are both frustrated
not to know, but it's so hopeful that he is getting -- and feeling -- somewhat
better.