My vet gave my anemic cat B12 subQs, but he still needed a transfusion.
He was probably a lot more anemic, though.   His blood looked like water
and he had a red blood cell parasite.   Have you checked for that?

Here's a nice page (about which you probably already know) about anemia:
http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

The short of it is, get some treatment fast.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Lee Evans <moonsiste...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am fostering one of my former colony cats.  My friend is now feeding the
> colony, which was hers to begin with but since I moved out of the county
> and live 35 miles away, she has had to take back the care of the 7 colonies
> with which I was helping her.
>
> Desi, the cat I am now fostering has lost a lot of weight.  My friend took
> him to the vet and the cat has tested positive for FeLv.  His PCV test is
> at 10 and the vet doesn't hold out much hope for long term survival.  In
> addition, the vet felt a small mass near the cat's liver.  However, what's
> puzzling is that Desi is still eating, still grooming, his fur is shiny
> like a healthy cat.  His eyes were clear and bright last night but had a
> little gunk on one cheek this morning.  But they are still wide and bright
> and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or pain.  One thing though is
> that he's weak.  He walks slowly and sits down after a few steps but then
> he gets up, rubs against me and then sits again. His belly is large but i
> can feel his backbone when I stroke him.  When I knew him as a street cat,
> he was plump and active and mischievous. I have known him since he was a
> half grown kitten. He was one of many black cats born to a black feral mom
> cat in the colony but he was friendly to me and my rescue partner.  When we
> got them neutered, we did not test them for anything because we don't have
> money for that.  Desi is about 4 years old.  The colony hangs out at an
> office park.
>
> I'm wondering if there's any way short of a transfusion to deal with his
> anemia.  I'm giving him Nutra Ved vitamins daily, .5 cc. twice a day.  I
> can't afford the transfusion and with a leukemia positive cat I don't feel
> it would be wise or that any vet would be willing to do that.
>
> Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
> neighbors too!

----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.no-killnews.com/ (see the right sidebar)

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537