Even one flea can cause flea allergy. It's an allergic reaction to something. I
have a cat who is FIV+ and also borderline diabetic. He develops scabs on
occasion, then they go away. And return, and go away, etc.. Some of my other
cats get scabs, near tail or around neck. One vet told me the tail scabs were a
reaction to the body oils that the cat produces in that region, especially male
cats. Mine are all neutered but they still produce body oils. Sometimes there
is fur loss also, then fur grows back. Scabs can also be a reaction to stress.
No telling what it is really, but I have had cats living with this "syndrome"
for many years, normal lives, both ordinary cats and FIV and FeLv+ cats.

too!

 to let something get out of control if it could be serious.  They do not have
fleas---that is something both the vet and I checked for, and they have been
treated for flea protection.  Thank you, Karen