If he has an appetite and is doing normal things, like annoying you at the
refrigerator, it may very well not be FIP. Do you have money to do an
ultrasound scan? In Texas it costs anwhere from $200 to $300 but if you have a
caring and compassionate vet, he may only charge $175. I have had a lot of
success with diagnosing serious mystery illnesses with ultrasound. It's
non-invasive. It will show abnormalities that x-ray sometimes misses. If
Charles is not a very nervous cat when handled by vets and technicians he may
be a good candidate for ultrasound. None of my cats had to be sedated for the
procedure, just had their bellies shaved.  The nice thing is that you can be
with him since it's not radioactive or harmful to humans. I stayed with my cat
Bo Jangles when he had his ultrasound. Unfortunately, he was in the last stages
of FIP but they also saw many small tumors in his organs. But at least the
ultrasound was not scary to him. If you go this route be
 sure you get a veterinary physician who specializes in ultrasound and can read
the results.

too!