We had a kitty that showed up in the backyard a few years
back so we trapped her and had her fixed and vaccinated and named her SuzieQ.  
Soon a male showed up so we got him all fixed
up.  Well, SuzieQ became more and more
friendly but we didn't want to leave Charlie outside alone and they were very
bonded so we built them a nice insulated, elevated house with a deck and
feeding area.  One day Charlie went
missing so we brought SuzieQ inside. 
Everything went well for almost a year until she started losing a lot of
weight.  After an ultrasound, the vet
recommended surgery to biopsy the mass in her abdomen.  It came back as a very 
aggressive form of cancer
that is common in cats with FeLuk.  She
tested negative but Dr. McCann said that she may have been exposed and fought
off the virus as a kitten but by then it was too late, the virus had done it's
damage and within 3 weeks of her diagnosis, she was gone. 
So, I guess what I am saying here is any cat that has been
exposed to Leukemia, even if they don't have it, runs the risk of getting one
or more of the cancers associated with the disease.  Not that they all will, 
but there is that
risk.  But then again, life expectancy is
fluid; we never know when our number is up. 
We lost a sweet kitty at five and a half years old and he didn't have
Leukemia or FIV, he was just a very sickly kitten and his body finally gave
out.  Cats, like people, die at different
ages and all we can do is embrace life, love them and care for them while they
are here and hold them forever in our hearts when they are gone.


Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 11:23:30 -0700
From: harshbargerka...@yahoo.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] testing

After the long discussion that I just got on testing, I am really confused and 
concerned.  I have a group of 6---one senior and the others a year old.  It was 
suspected that they were exposed to a cat with feline leukemia so I had them 
tested.  All but the one year old female tested positive on the Elsa---I 
believe it was that---did not really ask but it was a test done in the vet 
office in about 15 0r 20 minutes.  I moved them all indoors and got heaters and 
airconditioning for my garage (where they live), treated them aggressively, fed 
them more and better, and tried to reduce their stress as much as possible with 
climbers toys attention and love.   One did not make it after a month, but he 
was the sickest and kept separate from the start in the garage-----the negative 
female has been kept in
 the garage, but separate as well.  Anyway 3 months later the remaining 5 all 
tested negative on the same test by same vet.  We were feeling very happy and 
hopeful.  We plan to have them retested this week (about 2 months since the 
last test) and were hoping and praying that we once again get a negative test. 
We were thinking that if they were negative a second time, that we would be 
free and clear of this horrible illness and not have to worry about them and 
did not have to worry about keeping them all separate from each other and our 
other inside cats.  But after reading this recent discussion I worry that 
another negative snap test won't mean anything.  Should I have the Elsa test 
done instead or also---if I can come up with the money?  Should I have another 
vet and lab do it?  Do I have to worry about them for the rest of their lives 
that this will pop its ugly head up again in years to come as carriers or
 what?  Thanks, Karen
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to