 From: Tina Smith <mit...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:56 AM
Subject: [Felvtalk] Best litter for FeLV?

Hi all,

I have an FeLV+ kitty.  He has been mostly healthy but is currently going
through something that is causing a lot of coughing.  We have noticed that he
seems sensitive to the drier air of winter and perhaps has some environmental
allergies.  In addition to other things we are doing I am trying to find a
dust-free cat litter for him.  Last night I spent a small fortune on
SWheatScoop litter and was appalled to see all of the dust that went flying
when we put it in his litter pan.  So much for dust-free.  Has anyone here had
luck finding a litter that is good to use for our FeLV+ sweeties?

I'll also tell you a little more about what he's going through in case anybody
has some insight into what might be causing it.  The vet wasn't helpful.  Just
gave him a Convenia antibiotic injection but couldn't say what the problem
might be except possibly pleural effusion.  Darwin is coughing a lot - a little
like the "hairball cough" but not exactly.  He seems to be breathing mostly
okay through his nose, although I have noticed occasionally that there does
seem to be a little congestion.  There has been no open-mouth breathing.  He
had a bout of diarrhea for a couple of days this past week but seemed to get
over that.  Now I think he might actually be constipated.  When he coughs
nothing comes out but he does swallow as if he has coughed a little something
up and then swallows it. I have almost wondered if he might have an obstruction
but it does seem to be affecting his breathing some.  I haven't been able to
pinpoint any triggers.  He has
 coughed after drinking water, he has coughed when the heat was on, he has
coughed right after using the litter box.  But he has also coughed when he's
just resting on the bed and nothing is going on.

Any insight would be so welcome.

Thank you,
Tina Smith