Hi Tina,

In addition to checking for asthma, you should make sure that Darwin doesn't
have a heart problem.
I guess vet should really do a more thorough work up or try a diff. vet?
If she said it was pleural effusion, shouldn't she being doing a further
workup??
Chest x-rays?  at least do his heart and lungs sound OK?
If coughing from heart problem, you would want to get that addressed pretty
quickly.
Steroids should not be used in cats with heart problems, so vet would need to
rule that out.
Does he seem to be breathing normally, without effort, watching his sides at
rest?

Maybe the foreign object idea should be looked into more, hairball, etc.
Also, I guess FIP since it causes fluid and maybe coughing?

Litter-  I guess I'm in the minority, I like Swheatscoop and the Blue Buffalo
Walnut litter.
I used the walnut litter before blue buffalo bought that company, and I find
now that it doesn't
clump very well, so I tried their multi-cat formula and it works a lot better,
still same simple ground
walnuts, but the grind is diff. and it clumps better.
I found the Worlds Best cat litter (corn) to be terribly dusty, worse than
anything else.
I can't stand the strong smell of the pine.
No lid on box would be best, so he isn't standing in a contained cloud of dust.

I had a previous cat that began coughing all of a sudden, and it turned out
that he had a lot of
fluid in his chest that the vet gave him lasix for.  She thought FIP which
thank goodness if wasn't,
so we never found out what caused the fluid.  I guessed that it might have been
related to a dose of
ivermectin he received for ear mites, because this happened a few weeks
afterwards.  I wondered
if he had a heart worm that was killed by the ivermectin, and that it broke
apart and caused the fluid....??
Anyway, that was a long time ago, was a mystery, and he lived many more years...

Hope it is something easy to fix and that he feels better soon,
Shelley

Shelley Theye
ve...@bellsouth.net

On Nov 10, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Michelle B wrote:

> Did vet do xrays to check for asthma? My cat did the same thing and it was
> seasonal asthma and he got better with an oral tapering dose of prednisolone.
> NEVER do depo medrol injections for asthma or allergies please...do your own
> research on the side effects of depomedr ol in case that comes up. Also, its
> not a good idea to give antibiotics to 'blanket', especially in immune
> compromised cats. It doesnt sound like your cat has a bacterial URI and if
> it's viral the antibiotics wont help. A lot of vets throw antibiotics at cats
> when they don't know what else to do and that has its own plethora of issues.
> I know you can't do anything about it now but for future reference. I had to
> learn the hard way to question my vet and do my own homework. I also opt for
> homeo/allopathic treatments as much as possible and I notice a huge
> difference with my animals.

 coughed when the heat was on, he has coughed right after using the litter box.
 But he has also coughed when he's just resting on the bed and nothing is going
on.