First off, Thank you all so much for your condolences. Smoosh was absolutely a 'cat of a lifetime' in every way (and every day), and losing her has rocked me to my core.
My vet, Dr Stan Avezov of Pasadena Pets Hospital in Pasadena, CA could not have been any more wonderful with her, and supportive of us. He is compassionate and understanding to the nth degree, and I would never hesitate for a moment to advocate for him. We have financial limitations (Smoosh and Brynn were supposed to be weekend/temp fosters through a rescue until they tested + and their long term situations bailed on them) but he has consistently worked with us always for the greatest good for the girls throughout their lives. He also is absolutely my 'go to' for my other kitties as well, and we are kinda 'the Island of Misfit Toys' at my house. I have a kidney survivor, a senior, a cripple and a diabetic... Brynn continues to thrive with his help and guidance, although she really misses her Smoosh, as do I. I wish everyone had a vet like Dr Stan. Jennifer On Jul 26, 2014, at 4:02 PM, dlg...@windstream.net wrote: > i HAVE HEARD SO MANY STORIES OF VETS DOING THIS. IT SEEMS THEY DON'T WANT TO > BOTHER TREATING POSITIVES. MAYBE THEY DON'T THINK THE OWNERS WILL WANT TO > DEAL WITH THE EXPENSE OR TIME TO TREAT THEM, BUT THAT SHOULD BE LEFT UP TO > THE OWNER TO DECIDE, NOT THE VET. ESPECIALLY, IF PETA IS DOING FREE > SPAYS/NEUTERS, DO NOT TAKE YOUR ANIMALS TO THEM. I KNOW OF ONE INSTANCE > WHERE THEY EUTHANIZED THE CATS WITHOUT EVER NOTIFYING THE OWNER. IT IS > STANDARD PROCEEDURE WITH THEM. WHEN I GOT ANNIE, SHE HAD BEEN THROUGH A LOT > OF STRESS AND SUDDENLY TESTED POSITIVE . DR. RHODES SAID I HAD 2 CHOICES: > EUTHANIZE OR WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENED. HE SAID I SHOULD VACCINATE ALL THE > OTHERS AS A PRECAUTION. NO ONE ELSE EVER TESTED POSITIVE AS A RESULT OF > BEING AROUND HER. > > ---- Marsha <mar...@lynxe.com> wrote: >> Holy crap, not even an IFA confirmation?! I once took a feral in to be >> spayed, only to discover in the afternoon they didn't do the surgery >> when she tested positive, and they couldn't get hold of me for >> instructions. Now I make sure to give instructions beforehand - go >> ahead with the spay or neuter regardless of FeLV / FIV status (though I >> might hold off if there was a positive on the heartworm test). >> >> Marsha >> >> On 7/25/2014 12:54 PM, Kelley S wrote: >>> The low cost spay clinic I took Merlin to recommended immediate euth >>> for merls, without so much as an IFA. Of course I said no. THen I >>> found my holistic vet who boosts their system through supplements. >>> >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> Felvtalk mailing list >> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org >> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org > > > _______________________________________________ > Felvtalk mailing list > Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org > http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org _______________________________________________ Felvtalk mailing list Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org