For my girl with the oral cancer, it seemed to help that it was given right at
the source of the pain. We got a curved tip syringe and it was tiny at the end.
Just slipped between her lips without seeming to cause pain. The injectible was
much slower to show effect, as was the transdermal.

But every cat and situation is different. I hope you find something that works
for Gilbert

Margo