Hi all,
I have a very sweet indoor-only gray tabby named Spencer who at only 2 yrs of
age sadly tested positive for FeLV.   Spencer has developed stomatitis which
makes it very hard for him to eat.  He had always enjoyed his food but in the
last few months it's gotten to the point where he only gets in one or two licks
before he yelps and runs away in pain.  He's lost weight as a result.  I know
that for stomatitis, the long-term solution is usually a full-mouth extraction
of all teeth.   In May I will be getting a bonus at work and plan on taking him
to a dentist I've used many times before to get him evaluated for the procedure
and probably have it done.   In the meantime, I've been giving him a powder
called Plaque Off which is supposed to help with stomatitis.  I can get Spencer
to eat the baby food that comes in these tiny jars and is just
chicken/turkey/ham and cornstarch so I mix the powder with that.  So far, it
hasn't been doing much.   In the past, when I've had otherwise healthy cats
with stomatitis, I've gotten them shots of Depo Medrol every other month or a
couple of times a year and this has cleared the swelling.  Depo is a steroid
which reduces inflammation but also, suppresses the immune system.
For those of you who may be familiar with stomatitis and Depo in FeLV...
do you think the full-mouth extraction is the way to go?
Do you think it would be ok to get Spencer at least one shot of the Depo to
alleviate the stomatitis until I can get him the full-mouth extraction in May?

Spencer likes those jars of baby food but I'm sure they don't have all the
nutrition a cat needs.  Any supplements you can recommend that I could add to
those - giving him something by mouth is impossible.
Would appreciate any thoughts/advice you can share.
Maribel & Spencer
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
-Mohandas Ghandi