Hi Lorraine

What I have suggested to many in this group, for treatment of FeLV, is the
following combination of medications:

Winstrol (Stanazolol) - 1 mg twice a day

Doxycycline - 1/5 to ¼ tablet (100 mg) twice a day

Prednisolone - ½ 5 mg tablet, twice a day

If there are problems with the intestines (vomiting, constipation, slow moving
stools, stools of large diameters, all of which might be indicative of the
effect of the virus on the intestines) you can try adding ¼ tablet of
apometocloprimide.

If the haematocrit level is REALLY REALLY low - like below 5-8, you might
consider starting the Winstrol at 2 mg twice a day for a week, to try and
kickstart things quickly, but given that there is going to be a likely increase
in liver enzymes with the use of Winstrol, recognize that this might also
increase the liver enzymes faster.

Lorraine, you will very likely encounter great resistance or skepticism
regarding the use of the Winstrol. It is an anabolic steroid, associated with
some doping scandals in professional athletics, so it has a bad rap in the
sports world. I haven't yet figures out why this should matter in the animal
world, especially since NOTHING else works to turn back on the red cell
production in FeLV, but I am just warning you that you may get an unexpected
reaction from the vet. If not, terrific - carry on. If you do, many people in
this online group have managed to procure it themselves.

I also suggest blood work up front, so you can gauge how well the Winstrol is
working to address the anemia. The other thing to resist, however, is that
Winstrol may well bump up liver enzymes - sometimes dramatically. Vets will get
alarmed at this and will often tell you to discontinue the Winstrol, but I
would resist this. The liver enzymes almost always go back to normal once the
Winstrol is discontinued, with no lasting harm to the liver, and there is
really nothing else to use for this disease.

How long you need to stay on this regimen will depend on the lab results. Once
the anemia is resolved (haematocrit, haemoglobin and reticulocytes back to
normal) you may need to continue with the Winstrol for a more time. My
experience was that every time I wanted to wean my cat off the Winstrol, his
haematocrit would immediately drop. I kept him on the Winstrol until I didn't
see a drop in haematocrit when I began to wean him off. My cat's results were
horrible, before starting the Winstrol. (His haematocrit was FIVE, with ZERO
percent reticulocytes, and I had given him several blood transfusions, which
obviously were only a temporary fix.)

I hope this helps.

Amani