Jean-Baptiste Kempf (12023-01-20):
> First, maintainer does not mean owner

No. But maintainer means person who knows the code very well.

> Then, also, in the same email you say  "I have no time" and "you should
> consult with me before". Those are contradictory.

This is not contradictory. I have no time to reply in days, but this
patch took more than days in the making, I would have ample chance to
take the time.

Writing this patch alone, Anton, who has contributed to libavfilter a
lot at this time, incurs the risk of neglecting issues that might
require rewriting a significant part of it, or even voiding it entirely.
Somebody who knows the code and has given a lot of thought to future
developments (me for example) could have pointed to those possible
issues early, saving a lot of time to Anton.

This is not specific to this issue: Why would ANYBODY spend a lot of
time and effort writing a far-reaching patch to a part of the code they
do not know without consulting their fellow developers who know this
part better, the maintainer in particular?

I insist, it is a very specific combinations of criteria:

- Writing a small patch for a part you do not know well without
  consulting is fine, because the possible wasted effort is small and
  the likelihood of severe mistakes is small. It is quadratic.

- Writing a large patch for a part of the code you know well or for a
  new feature is fine, of course.

But the combination (1) code that you do not know well, (2) patch that
took effort writing, (3) patch that goes far and this is at risk of hard
to see issues, then not consulting with people who know the code best
seems really absurd.

For lack of a better explanation, I perceive cases like that when they
happen as a lack of team-spirit that is detrimental to this project.

I mean, it would not have taken a lot of time: "Hey guys, I am
considering redesigning the graph parsing API in lavfi. Here are my main
ideas: ... Do you have comments before I really start?", and it could
have made the result a lot better from the get go.

Also, it would have been the POLITE thing to do. It would have been the
thing to do if one considers me as an equal.

--
  Nicolas George