Michael Niedermayer (12023-06-23):
> * What iam interrested in was working with the signals at a low level, why
>   because i find it interresting and fun.

Then this is what you should be spending your time on, and to hell with
anybody who says otherwise.

Unless you have commitments that we are not privy of, nobody can tell
you how you are supposed to be spending your time and skills. Nobody can
force you to manage releases and fix fuzzing bugs and do all the things
you do that are necessary to the project. Necessary to a conception of
the good of the project that is not even your own I think.

Nobody can prevent you from hacking the things that motivate you. At
worst, they can prevent you from committing the resulting code into
official FFmpeg. That would be the project's loss, and you can still
publish it on a private branch. But they do not have the power to block
you from pushing. It is not even clear they have the authority do block
you, more so if the code is really good and fits FFmpeg well. The only
thing that can block you is your desire to play nice and not harm the
project. I would like to emphasize that some of the frequent naysayers
do not have an excellent track record when it comes to playing nice and
especially not harming the project.

I am especially annoyed by the “it's too hard” naysayers — the same I
have been getting when I say that I want to write a XML suited to our
needs to replace our use of libxml. They do not realize they reveal more
about their own skills than anybody else. You know if you can write a
radio, so ignore them and go ahead. And if they were right, if it is too
hard and you fail… well, you would just have wasted your own time; and
you would have had fun and learned things on the occasion, which means
the time was not even wasted.

But the whole attitude who wants FFmpeg to be a Serious OpenSource TM
Project, who needs to make releases and worry above all about ABI
stability, is really the attitude who is killing all the fun in working
on FFmpeg.

Hey, people, realize FFmpeg does not exist to be a Serious OpenSource TM
Project, FFmpeg does not exist to serve other projects, to serve
companies who benefit from it give the bare minimum back.

FFmpeg exists because some day a dude thought it would be fun to write a
MPEG decoder. And everybody else told him it would be too hard,
everybody else told him to use an existing library and to leave it to
the professionals. He did not believe them and proved them utterly
wrong, and the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

So I will say it explicitly. We — me, and everybody who agrees with me —
do not want to just maintain a bunch of wrappers for the convenience of
others, we want to have fun writing interesting code, trying new ways of
doing things, inventing original optimizations. We can find a balance
and work on useful things too. But if you want us to work only on the
boring useful things, if you want to bar us from working on fun things,
then just fork you.

P.S.: I do not think I am skilled enough in that area to review your
code. But if you think I am, maybe on some parts, then I will happily.

  Nicolas George