Kieran Kunhya (12023-07-25):
> As we have seen in FFmpeg, APIs are "designed" around basic things
> like AVI and hacks upon hacks are needed to support anything more
> complex. The API being written around AM/FM is history clearly
> repeating itself.
>
> Unlike you, quite a lot of people are able to comprehend this now and
> don't want history repeating itself.

I know all that, I was here as well as you. But there are two things
that you refuse to acknowledge (because I will not stoop to the
discourteous suggestion that you are not intelligent enough to
comprehend it):

One, most of these “hacks” are in limited and optional parts of the
code. I you do not like them, you just have to not look at them and they
are not your problem. And if at some point they become nobody's problem,
then removing them is very easy.

Two, a lot of our users are very happy of the consequences of these
hacks. They like that their favorites applications have gained new
features transparently. Even if it is limited and awkward, because
limited and awkward is better than nothing, and using other, specialized
applications for these features would bring a different brand of limited
of awkward.

If you would rather FFmpeg be a perfect pearl of beautiful design
developed in an ivory tower with no regards for the satisfaction of
users… there is a project for that, it is called libav. And guess what?
It died because of that attitude.

In the meantime, the patches we are discussing for now are not even
hacks. So if you and Thomas only have a slippery slope fallacy against
them, we will give you exactly as much consideration as fallacies
deserve.

--
  Nicolas George