Vittorio Giovara (12023-09-21):
> So this is an example of accusatory tone - discrediting the previous author
> in order to make your arguments have more weight. It's a bad move and
> easily spottable, you should argue with better elements at your disposal,
> not by claiming that I don't package software or don't contribute to
> libavfilter.

You are misunderstanding my point completely, I am not accusing you of
anything, I am merely using you as an example to show how your argument
is flawed.

I can take myself as an example instead, if you like it better:

How much did *I* contribute to hardware acceleration? Zero!

How much did *I* contribute to assembly optimization? Zero!

How much do *I* intend to contribute to hardware acceleration? Zero!

But now, however much I would like to, especially in libavfilter, I
refrain from objecting to new features of hardware acceleration.

Because I can make the difference between the things that benefit me and
the things that are useful to many users and therefore good for the
project.

FFmpeg is made a of a lot of parts that are often very independent. That
is on purpose: that way, if somebody is not interested in a part, they
can just ignore it and let others work on it.

And that is exactly what I am asking you to do:

Just ignore SDR and let Michael work on it.

SDR costs NOTHING except Michael's time, and Michael's time is his own
to spend. For the rest of us, the grounds for objecting are the same
NOTHING.

> opinion on this release still stands: either a release with everything or a
> release without the contentious piece of code, but not both. It's confusing
> to the end users, and shows lack of direction of the project.

On this we agree, making a second release without the feature just some
people object to it would be a waste of Michael's time.

--
  Nicolas George