Hello,

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023, at 18:49, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> noone mentioned 5.1.x and 6.0.x to me before

Our last releases from our two major bracnhes, are a 5.1.3 (which is a LTS
branch) and a 6.0.0.

Both of those have not had backports and releases of all the security issues,
nor on the major regressions found (if any).

Also, if they had some commits for security reasons, we should have a release
at least every 90 days (3 months), because this is the standard for the
security issues reporting (after that time, the security community makes them
public).
And seeing the number of fuzzing fixes, this is likely important.

So, yes, I think having a 5.1.4 and 6.0.1 with the security fixes is of the
utmost importance.

> It was just that jb told me
> "6.1 opportunity is gone.
>  We're too late on the schedule, and noone had time to work on it, so
> it is wiser to target 7.0 in January"

Yes, we said we would make a new major version for January (which will slip in
February, as usual :D).
So, doing a 6.1.0 now, while 7.0 is not far away, might be a lot of work and it
might not worth it.
Notably since at the time of 7.0, there might be not enough new things to cut a
release.

So I'm not against a release for 6.1 at all, but I believe focusing on minor
releases for security and on 7.0 with the next major deprecations is more
important.
If we can do all of those, and keep more or less the timing for 7.0, please be
my guest  for 6.1.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734